Monday, June 15, 2009

Is someone playing a sick, sick joke on me?

About the time of Andy and my 1 year anniversary, I was happily minding my own business in the bathroom of our ancient apartment, when I glanced into the toilet to see many little tiny bugs, similar to ants floating around inside. SICK! I got Andy, and he thought they may be termites. The way our bathroom was set up - probably similar to many bathrooms, the fan was directly above the toilet. Apparently, termites were falling from the wood shingled roof, through the fan, and down into our toilet. This made for a very uncomfortable situation. Every time I had to pee, I would grab a large piece of foil, shape it like a huge bowl, and hold it over my head while sitting on the toilet. (great visual, isn't it?) And yes, on occasion, I would catch some termites in my foil bowl. Dis-gus-ting!!! Luckily our year contract was just ending, and we could move out ASAP!

To think this was all some kind of preparation for what was to come...

We have now moved into some very nice apartments, that, allthough they are old, are very comfy and spacious, and for the most part, very quiet. We like it here very much. Well - minus one small problem. I thought the roach in Stella's room was bad. About a month ago, while in the bathroom (whatever it is with me and bathrooms... I don't know, but it has got to stop.) I suddenly heard a buzzing noise, like that of a bee - so I turned my head, towards the bath tub where the noise was coming from, to see a black bee flying directly at my face. Literally, it was as if it were trying to intimidate me by going straight for the eyes or something. I grabbed New Moon( the nearest book), and threw it at the bee - unfortunatly right into a bathtub that was not completely drained yet. Great, so I had a soaking wet book, and a bee in the bathtub. I grabbed my dripping book out of the tub, and quickly threw a towel down onto the recovering bee. Then turned the water on, straight to scorching hot, and doused the towel with it - hoping to drown, or burn, (or both) the bee to death. When Andy came home - he lifted the towel to find the dead bee, and got rid of it for me. He also convinced me that it was most likely some weird fluke that there was suddenly a bee in our windowless bathroom - and not to worry. Well, I took his advice, and didn't worry my life away about the bees, and that brings me to this morning. While in the bathroom, once again, I suddenly hear a buzzing, turn to the tub, and here comes an even bigger bee - flying right for me in attack mode. Seriously? This has to be a nightmare. Well, I grabbed a magazine - (thank goodness for reading material in the bathroom, right?), and start swatting at this disgusting buzzing creature with all the energy I can muster up. I am sure neighbors thought I was crazy as they heard screaming, jumping, and pounding on walls, the floor, and counter tops. After about 14 swats, the bee was dead on the floor - right next to the door of the bathroom, where he was trying to escape to go sting my peacfully sleeping children, I am sure. So he got what he deserved. But now my speculation has practically been proven. Somehow - someway, bees are making it into my lovely little home, and tormenting me in all my bathroom, half naked vulnerability.

If this is some kind of sick and twisted joke - thanks, but it is no longer april fools day, you can stop now. And if it's not... well then I am doomed.

5 comments:

The Cherry Family said...

The image of you, pants down in the bathroom, swatting at bees, will probably never leave my mind now!!

I would be terrified too though! Bees are not meant to be in houses, and especially bathrooms. Do you have some sort of perfume or shampoo that is attracting them to the bathroom?

Deb said...

Melissa, I am so, so sorry for you! I hate that super-vulnerable-exposed feeling in the bathroom... but for me it usually involves spiders. Andy, you'd better get that place situated with some type of super-toxic chemicals to kill the bees! Not cool!!

Unknown said...

Ugh that is a nightmare...and I am pretty sure that I would react exactly the way you did to the bee and the termites. Except I might not have even been able to pee in that toilet. Good luck!

Joneel said...

Hey, as I recall, you guys thought the bugs in your first place, were
baby earwigs. I thought I was the one to suggest termites? = )

Partyof9 said...

Description- priceless! ;D lol

Ok, so, I totally know how you feel. I have SO been there and bought a t-shirt.
I have NEVER seen so many disgusting bug's in all my life. The south wins the ultimate prize for vermon!!!!!
Come take refuge at my place ANY time and the kids can play.
We have a little kitchen and everything.
A playdate would be awsome.

You know I'm baby/kid proofed and have diapers your kiddos sizes.
I got it covered.:D

P.S. My favorite bug defense? Cleaning products! Windex, 409, even veggie/fruit wash spray!!Keep something in every room, just in case of that sudden attack.