Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The life of the party












We had a birthday party for Stella the week after her birthday. At first, I wasn't going to have one, because I figured she was maybe to young to have it be worth it, but then she started talking about her "friends" and how much fun she had with them every sunday after coming home from nursery, so I decided another excuse to have all of her nursery friends around wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus, my mom and sister were going to be in town, so it would be fun for them to be able to celebrate with her too. My friend Tammy was so sweet to let us have it at pine island, a private island for members only - she's a member - and Stella loves to swim. Plus I thought it would be fun because whole families could come and play, and having all those two year olds in my tiny apartment didn't seem to fun. People were out swimming, including Andy and Stella, when two of the guys - Brandon and Mike - decided to swim to the buoy. (Brandon is Karens oldest son, and mike is her brother who was visiting from Ohio) Once at the buoy, Mike told Brandon he didn't know if he could make it back. Brandon asked if he was serious, and Mike said - lets just go. About three strokes from the buoy, Mike asked Brandon to get Andy as he started going under. Brandon tried his best to keep Mike above water, while he yelled out to Andy. Andy first thought they were joking ( I think this probably happens way to much because people are always messing with their friends about stuff like this), but then saw Mikes blue/grey coloring, and handed Stella to one of the moms out there, and hurried over to help out. Some stranger also came over, and after failing to get Mike onto a float, they drug him up onto the sand. This is where I realized what was going on. From up by the picnic tables, I could tell it was Mike. I immediately start crying, yelling someone call 911 a couple of times, and pacing all over. I told Karen it was her brother, and she went down to see if she could help. Luckily, there were two first response guys there at the island with their families that day. As soon as he was pulled high enough on shore, they started CPR. Mikes body was in defense mode, and he had clenched his jaw, and his eyes were popping out of his head. He was blue grey from his waist up, and his belly was full of air, and Andy says - as hard as a rock. The doctors say he was flatlined for between 10-15 minutes. Finally they got him breathing on his own. Up by the picnic tables, I was freaking out - so worried. Poor little jeramia was up there with us praying for his uncle. Watching the CPR made me think - maybe this is it... maybe he wont make it. The thought made me feel so sick. I couldn't believe that it was actually happening. One moment we were all playing - celebrating a two year olds birthday, and the next, we were all praying and hoping for a miracle. It felt like forever before the ambulance finally arrived, but once they got there I felt so thankful. Mike says he doesn't remember anything from the time he told Brandon to get Andy - to when he woke up in the ambulance. Crazy. Turns out - our prayers for a miracle were answered the best way possible, and he was released from the hospital the next day with nothing wrong, minus some bruises on his chest from the compressions, and bloodshot eyes from them being popped out his head. I am so glad it all turned out ok. I would have felt so horrible had that not been the case. Once he was taken off in the ambulance, we still "celebrated" by singing and openeing presents, But I felt so weird. I was not in the mood to sing and clap - but we had to for all of the kids sake - to help them get the crazyness off of their minds. Stella seemed to be fine after the whole thing - but then a couple of days later while we were driving in the car she started to say things like - Scared, get him, swimming, hurry hurry, help him, get him... over and over and over again with this real concerned look on her face. She has forgotten by now, thank goodness, and we are so gratefull that everything worked out so well. The phrase - the life of the party will always have a different meaning for me now, and I will never forget Stella's second birthday party.

3 comments:

partypatt said...

Hi Melissa, this is your mom's friend Pat. I check your blog from time to time and was pretty horrified to read what happened at Stella's party. When I was 5 we were at a lake and my brother, who was 4, drowned. It was horrible and what you guys went through was pretty horrible too. I'm glad Stella seems to have forgotten most of it by now. I just wanted to let you know that even though I witnessed such an awful thing that I wasn't left with problems from it. I still love to swim. The only time it came back to haunt me was twice while I was at BYU. I looked in a swimming pool and saw a big black hole and just freaked out. But that passed. So I'm sure Stella will be fine. I hope nothing like that ever happens again to you and I'm glad Mike is ok! Andy is a hero! Hell, tell Andy I'm the mom of Christie who knew Paul, his former roommate, and met Andy a few times. He may already know that. Small world,huh?

Joneel said...

I am so thankful that we truly experienced a miracle that day.

Stacy Pettersen said...

Oh my gosh, what an ordeal! We had a similar experience with my niece, recently. Her older sister came in the house and said "Mommy, Kate's gonna drown." and my sister-in-law looked out to see her daughter face down in the middle of the pool! She ended up okay too... I guess if it's not your time the Lord can make miracles. I'm so glad it turned our well!