Thursday, April 2, 2009

Scary Stories

If someone would have told me a week ago, that by today, I would be on page 226 of a book, and be dying to find the time to read more, I would have laughed out loud hysterically at them. I am definitely not one who enjoys to read. I am pretty sure I completed about 10 percent of my reading assignments in school, and was lucky to skim a small fraction of the rest. I just can't stand to read. My mind wanders, and by the time I've read one paragraph, I have to go back and re-read at least three quarters of it because I've gotten completely lost in my day dreams. I have read one book since graduating from college, and it was while I was pregnant with Stella. I got it from my best friend Rashel for my baby shower, and it was about a pregnant woman on bed-rest. I read it, and enjoyed it, but it took a while to read, I didn't read more than maybe 5 pages a day.
Lately, people have tried to convince me to read the twilight series. At first, I was highly un-interested. A book about vampires. Please - why would I ever be interested in reading some ridiculous story about vampires. I am into reality, to truth, I can't stand science fiction or anything else that doesn't seem 100% realistic to me. So I would always just kind of politely say, maybe.
After Sterling was born, my mom told me that my sister in law read twilight while nursing her son. This gave me an idea. I kept falling asleep during the night while feeding Sterling, and I would wake up hours later sitting in a chair with a sore neck and sleeping baby in my lap. I decided to try reading twilight during night feedings to help me stay awake. This plan didn't last long though, I was too tired, and had even less motivation than normal to open a book in the middle of the night. So the book sat on the shelf for weeks.
I finally decided to open the book a couple of days ago and give it a chance. I am addicted.
Last night, as I was laughing with Andy about how crazy it is that I am finally interested in a book, and it is a book about vampires none the less, he told me a story from his mission. He ran into this man named JC, who claimed to be a vampire. He said there were hundreds of different types of vampires, and he happened to be the kind that needed lots of vegetables, not blood. He said that once you learn to recognize vampires, you will notice them everywhere. He then dropped the bombshell. Apparently Andy was a vampire as well. JC didn't tell him what type he was, just that he was. This has me thinking... Andy does move rather quickly, and often times at night, his feet are extra cold even under the covers, and he is extremely good looking. He can charm the pants off anyone, and his strength can be shocking. Hmmm... in this picture he even looks a little like a vampire, just a tan one.


Huh. All this talk about Andy being a vampire makes me even more desperate to go see what happens in the story - gotta go.

5 comments:

The Cherry Family said...

You're so funny. I read twilight at night when I had Savannah, 2 1/2 years ago, but I just couldn't get into it and enjoy it, or focus. I never went on to read the other books. Carter's sisters have been CRAZY about these books for the last few months and talking about the movie all the time, so it made me want to try to read it again. This time it was much more enjoyable and I could actually focus. I still haven't totally blazed through them, but right now I'm on Eclipse, the third book. We recently saw the movie, (cheesy but good) and for some reason it makes it easier for me to imagine the characters when I can put a face with them. I'm definitely enjoying the series now. I'm sure you'll get hooked too. Twilight is like crack out here. They have a party for every book, or movie, even at Walmart. I used to read all the time, but since having Savannah it's been hard. It's nice to sit down and be able to enjoy a little "unreality", though. Hope you continue to enjoy them. Hopefully I can get through Eclipse fast, otherwise I may have the same problem with baby boy as I did with Savannah.

Taryn said...

I'm the same way-I am definitely not a reader, but got into these books. I liked them more the further into the series I got. Lucky you, gets to see the movie right after you read too! That is too funny about Andy being called a vampire.

Deb said...

That's so funny, Melissa, that you're sucked into Twilight. I read all 4, but with varying degrees of interest. Huh. Sci-Fi/Romance/Action is apparently the genre consistent with your day dreams. Who'd've thought! I'm glad you're reading and enjoying it. I personally feel like I'm being punished if I don't get a chance to read each day.

As for Andy, I can totally see what you're talking about with your comparison although I always thought he was more a mutant wolverine. :)

Partyof9 said...

That is too funny about the picture of Andy! He does look somewhat similar to the cutie patootie in the movie!

I am SO the same when it comes to reading! Oh my goodness!I hated reading in school, reading mythology in school? Please! It isn't real. I wasn't having any part of it. You hit the nail on the head!

My daughter has been telling me that I NEED to read the Twilight books. Almost everyday. She read every book within a 3 month period and is already reading them for the 2nd time!It helps that she get's credit fot the reading at school.;)

Now, that I have seen the movie I see how reading the book would've helped me understand it more.
Why does Jasper not talk? Why does Rosalie so jealous of humanity? Well, these characters (in the movie) don't make sense unless you read the story OR take someone along who has. =)
Even my son Brennen has read these books. Not real typical of a guy but he really enjoys them. I think he is on the last book.

Maybe I should start reading them? I should switch out my magazines reading at night/bathtime for the Twilight books. hmmmmmm?!?!?

Have a great weekend! Let me know if you need anything!! Seriously!

Joneel said...

Melissa, you kill me. But, you've made me realize that I better get crackin' on that first book. Pg. 38 isn't going to do me much good.
Can't get addicted that quickly. Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the pleasure of reading.