Monday, June 9, 2008

In case you were looking for a suggestion...

for a place to go on vacation, we found the perfect spot.  Isle Of Palms in Charleston, South Carolina is beautiful, and the water is warm and inviting.  Andy needed to drive a truck down to Charleston for work, and so we decided to make a day out of it and hit the beach.  It was really really nice.  As you can see, the beach is lined with beautiful beach houses, many of which happen to be vacation rentals.  PERFECT!  


After we got home, our friends told us a lovely little bit of information.  Last thursday a crocodile was rescued from the shore right here on the lovely Isle of Palms.  Hmmm... but don't worry, you can still come here on vacation, that doesn't happen everyday.  




Stella really wore herself out playing in the water and crawling the entire beach again and again.  She was on "go" the whole time we were there, until she finally laid her head down on my shoulder and crashed.  The heat may have had something to do with it too.  It was scorching out.  





Stella's latest and greatest is her stinkbug crawl.  She is sick and tired of rubbing her knees on the ground, and we can't always protect her poor little legs, so she has come up with a good way of giving them a break while crawling.  While keeping her knees locked, she gracefully makes her way wherever she needs to go on her hands and feet.  She first realized she could crawl in this position while walking, she fell forward onto her hands and then kept going.  Silly girl!


Beware of these next two pics if you don't have the strongest stomach.   Andy hurt his big toe while in Colorado over the holidays while playing basketball and dodgeball with his brother Aaron.  He wore his dad's shoes, because he didn't have any athletic shoes with him, and they were a couple sizes too small.  Well, that didn't stop Andy from having any fun, but it did stop his toe from looking normal.  It has been black and blue ever since.  While we were getting in the car after the beach, he bumped his toe, and the nail came off.  Weird thing is, there was a whole other nail underneath it... it is just a weak tin one.  Luckily, when it lifted up, it didn't even hurt - probably thanks to soaking in the ocean for a while.  



This last pic is for my mom.  She wanted to see the cake I made for a friend who was helping plan a surprise party for her friend.   This is the second cake I have made, and you can tell.  It doesn't look professional, and I don't think I have a future in the cake business, but I'm still proud that I was able to come up with this.   At the party the cake was decorated with flowers, and the birthday girl loved it!


And for all those wondering how far along, etc...I am six and a half weeks along, a little early to tell the whole world, I know, but we can't keep things this exciting in.  I have been feeling a lot better this time around then I did with Stella, and have not thrown up yet.  I had a close call, but no food made it's way out of my body, so I am really hoping that it stays this way.  Gagging a bunch is a lot more pleasant than actually throwing up, and not feeling so sick all the time is making me feel like pregnancy is really no big deal.  If I get nauseaus, it is only for about 20 mins, and that's it, and it only happens between 2 and 4 times a day.  With Stella it was literally constant, and I really felt horrible all the time, so this is GREAT!  Here's to hoping it stays this way.    

8 comments:

Ashley K said...

We might be living there in Charleston in about a year :) That's where we are trying to go next. There or washington.

Elizabeth J. said...

I am so excited for you Melissa! I hope, hope, hope you don't get any sicker!

I had a dream last night that we were roommates again and I was sad because you were never home and I missed you! P.S. We were both married!

Elizabeth J. said...

P.S. I think your cake looks great...fondant can be sooo difficult, but I think you made it look wonderful!

Joneel said...

Man, love the pictures. The beach looks beautiful. I'd love to vacation there. At least once. = ) I'm probably more of a West coast girl though. The pictures of Stella are precious. It's so sweet seeing her have a fun time.
Great daddy daughter, and mommy daughter pics.

Taryn said...

Wow, beautiful cake and place to vacation. Oh, and I've "heard" that usually people get more sick during pregnancy when they're having a girl...maybe a boy is in store?

Deb said...

I've been wanting to come visit anyway, but then you show those awesome vacation houses on the beach?!!? Torture! Looks like you guys had fun.

Melissa, you totally rocked that cake! Way better than I would have done.

Andy, that toe business is how it's supposed to work when you get a plum toe. The trick is always to keep the "dead nail" on long enough for the one underneath the grow. Sounds like you did it without even knowing that's what you were doing. FYI, the new, thin nail will get thicker and stronger now that it has fresh air and occasional daylight. :)

alma and nicole smith said...

i love the pic of stella resting her head on you...so precious. are you guys coming to twin lakes?? i heard a rumor that you were (i hope so!!) i think your cake looks really good...decorations wise too :) andy's toe nail was disgusting! i'm glad you are feeling better during this pregnancy so far! now all i need to do is get pregnant so we can be big and beautiful together again!!

NoNo said...

aahhh. You're pregnant? Congrats! Your vacation looked like so much fun. You guys are the cutest family. You're pictures are so cute too. My favorite is the one of you and stella walking back from the ocean. I'm going to take a picture like that wen I have a family one day. I'll tell everyone it was inspired by you so you can have some of the credit.