Monday, November 5, 2007

butternut squash soup


So my sister-in-law Nicole started up a little recipe post thing, where we are all supposed to post a recipe once a month or so...well here is my first one. We had this for dinner tonight, and it is very tasty. Make sure you don't over do the thyme though - it can be a little much...at least for my taste. Otherwise, this soup makes me feel very festive and fall like. And a big plus is that it is healthy and low cal as well=).

2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
1 cup(s) (about 1 medium onion) chopped onions
2 1/2 pound(s) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
3 cup(s) low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cup(s) apple cider


1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper

DIRECTIONS

  1. Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened -- about 5 minutes. Add the squash and apple and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the squash is tender -- about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. In small batches, carefully puree the soup in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.

2 comments:

Joneel said...

My sweet little domesticated diva

Mike and Tia Fam said...

Yummy soup! I am going to start posting recipies as well - thanks to Nicole :) Could you PLEASE tell me how you got the fancy background on your blog?? I love it and I am nearly computer illiterate so I could use some help. Thanks