Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Code Adam

Stella in one of her favorite hiding spots. Too bad they aren't all as painfully obvious of spots as this one - the corner of our kitchen.

While making our way home from Florida on Monday, we decided to make a little stop at some truck station so that I could feed Sterling. Andy and Emile (the french foreign exchange student staying with the Rozmus') decided to take advantage of the moment and get Stella out of the car for a little break. While Andy was "shopping" with her, she turned the corner around an isle. Andy says he turned no more than two seconds after her, and she was gone. I think, "like she fell into a hole" were his exact words. They tried to find her for a second, and then alerted management. A code Adam was called, and immediately everyone started looking for Stella. Andy looked in every cupboard at least once. Emile ran outside to see if she could have jetted through the doors, but after looking around for only a few seconds, ran back inside. That's when I saw him, through the car window while feeding Sterling, and I knew Stella was lost. I automatically had the thought that he was looking for Stella, but I thought that if they actually couldn't find her, Andy would call me. No call, so I figured she must be safe, and maybe Emile was looking for Andy or something. They searched everywhere for Stella, and then searched everywhere again. Emile went back to one of the stock rooms near where Stella had "just" been, and the manager in there assured him that no one had been in there. Andy says that a million different things were going through his mind. Finally, when Emile went to check the stock room one more time - he heard Stella yell his name, trying to be found. All one big game of hide and seek. She was in the back corner between a whole bunch of stuff. Emile said she was in the best hiding place she could have been. Thank goodness she saw him and called out his name, or who knows how long the "game" would have gone on. Stella loves to hide, she is almost always "hiding" at home, and she often makes her toys hide, and then laughs so hard about it. Looks like we are going to have to drive into her head that she is only allowed to hide when we are "playing a game" together at home. We are so glad it was just a scare, and that she is perfectly safe and sound.

8 comments:

Mike and Tia Fam said...

Wow! That would really be terrifying!!! Obviously I'm so glad they found her. Cute innocent girl, thank goodness she didn't decide to make the game longer. And I agree - she and Annabelle could totally be cousins!

Deb said...

What a little sassy pants chickadee! I'm glad she never knew she was 'missing' and that you guys came away unscathed. Cute picture...she looks sweet as pie, with some tartiness thrown in.

The Cherry Family said...

I would have been freaking out! Glad she was just hiding. We have to really watch Savannah because she literally just runs away from us when we're out. She has no fear.

Anonymous said...

Melissa Its every mothers nightmare for sure but all is well . Your children are adorable. Love the black and white photo of stella she a little shirley temple .. darling .. Sterling may for sure have a football career in his future he is for sure all boy love it .. Its so fun you and Rashel have one of each ..love shelly

Jessica and Tim said...

That's like the worst scare ever. I'm so glad that she was safe and sound. Hiding is one of Chet's favorite things to do with his stuff but he doesn't do it himself yet. I guess I'm lucky.

Denise said...

So scary! I am so glad you found her. It is amazing that they can disappear so fast!

Stacy Pettersen said...

So did you get your wish? Was this the "trigger" for Andy to start being more careful? =)

Partyof9 said...

Hi Melissa

I saw your cute comments on my posts. Thanks!

I was chicken too when it came time to get her ears pierced. I just decided to sit there and pretend that she was at the doctor and she was getting her shot. It was sad. But she did see some bracelets and she was fine. She wasn't happy with me coming towards her ears for a couple of days. Stella would be fine. Promise!I would come with you if you wanted me to. ;)